Vitamin N. You may not have heard of it. In fact, if you go to your local drug store, you won’t find a bottle of it on the shelf. That’s because vitamin N is something we get for free just by going outside and admiring the grass, the trees, the clouds, and the sun.
Vitamin N is nature. With more and more of the population living in cities and high-density apartment/condo buildings, nature is becoming more and more distant in our daily lives. While humans have dominated the earth and learned to control fire, extract resources from the planet and make some pretty incredible things with those resources, we must not forget that we are part of nature.
Just like we bring plants into our shelters, we must also make it a point to step out into nature itself. Here is how:
- Seek out parks. While hiking isn’t available, you can still sit under a tree and take in the sunshine, the rustle of the leaves, and the wind in your hair.
- In the urban environment, seek out well landscaped areas. Newer shopping areas typically have streets lined with trees.
- Do a Google Search for trails near your house. Even in urban areas like Denver, more natural recreation paths are available like the Speer Blvd aqueduct.
- Plan a weekend in the mountains. Get out and explore areas within a half day drive to a day’s drive from home. Plan time hiking and exploring the area.
- Sign up for a community garden plot. Sites like Growing Gardens might have a plot in your area. There is nothing like dirt under the fingernails and a fresh tomato!
Getting your vitamin N fix is easier than you think. Experience the birds, the leaves, and the sun. They are all a part of your soul.