Starbucks is certainly a company that knows how to sell coffee. Heck, it was Starbucks that helped save us from the percolated Folger’s of yester-year. They even saved us from those coffee crystals that our grandparents swore by for years.
That is why many people are having a hard time with Starbucks’ new VIA Ready Brew instant coffee. How dare the king of coffee take us back to the product that they saved us from. However, this isn’t your grandparents’ coffee crystals.
Sure I was skeptical, but I ordered a pack of each flavor, Columbia and Italian Roast, from starbucksstore.com to get an early taste here in California. As I tore open the stylish package and dumped it in the cup, I realized that there was something different about it. It looked absolutely nothing like the instant coffee that is currently on the market… it looked like coffee. Imagine that!
Adding the water and stirring it up produced a cup of coffee not that far from fresh brewed and without the wait. Fresh brewed coffee, when done right, takes upwards of ten minutes to prepare (grind, heat water, pour, seep, taste, etc), but you can get something close in minutes with VIA.
So, why do I think VIA Ready Brew will succeed? Here are the major points:
1) It is a refreshing 21st century take on the old instant coffee of yester-year.
2) VIA looks nothing like what is on the market: from the awesome slender pocket friendly packaging to the real coffee look of the product.
3) VIA comes with the wonderful Starbucks buying experience that we love of their retail stores. Baristas with smiles simply can’t compete with the grocery store clerk when you buy Folger’s.
4) The product has many uses: sprinkle it on ice cream, add it to a vinegrette or your favorite brownies to please any coffee lover
5) It is great to take with you. The ultra-portable and stylish packaging fits in your pocket/purse and all you need is a cup and some hot water. That stale workplace coffee will be getting even more stale with VIA Ready Brew in your cup!
While I was skeptical of VIA in the beginning, after spending one week with these little packets of awesome coffee goodness, I really think Starbucks have shaken up the instant coffee market by bringing us a pleasantly refreshed version of my grandparents hideous crystals.
What do you know… Starbucks has still saved us from instant coffee nightmares!